Created on Wednesday, 09 November 2011 23:00 Published Date Hits: 2772
The American Cancer Society is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program.
The program is designed to provide transportation for area cancer patients to and from their medical appointments or cancer treatments. For information, call 1-800-227-2345.
Road to Recovery volunteer drivers offer both their time and vehicles to the cancer patients, many of whom have no other means of getting to their treatments and appointments. Cancer patients may require daily or weekly treatments over the course of several months.
Drivers must have:
• A current, valid driver’s license.
• A good driving record, which will be verified by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
• Access to a reliable vehicle.
• Maintain sufficient limits of automobile liability insurance for their personal vehicle.
• Must be in good health.
• Must complete the volunteer driver’s application and attend a training/orientation.
American Cancer Society staff and volunteer coordinators manage the program from initial recruitment, screening and training of the volunteers to scheduling the drivers and the patient pickups.
Road to Recovery volunteers are free to choose a schedule that works best for them.