Created on Thursday, 13 March 2014 21:58 Published Date Hits: 760
The following area students have received recognition for academic excellence:
• Megan Brakke, a junior at Bethel University in St. Paul, Minn., has been named to the Dean’s List for academic excellence for the fall 2013 semester. Ms. Brakke is the daughter of Doug and Brenda Brakke of Billings. The Dean’s List honors students who achieve a grade point average of 3.6 or greater.
• Emma Fulton has been named to the St. Olaf College Dean’s list for the fall 2013 semester. She is a biology and chemistry major and a graduate of Billings Senior High School. Her parents are William and Elizabeth Fulton.
• John Johnson of Billings graduated with a bachelor of science degree in biochemistry (medicinal chemistry) from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University’s December commencement ceremony. Named to the Dean’s List at ASU were Adam Feralio, Shannon Jenkins and John Johnson, all of Billings.
• The following Whitworth University students have been named to the Whitworth University Laureate Society for fall semester 2013: Jason Bilyeu of Red Lodge, Michaila Grant of Billings, Sarah Gumm of Billings, Kangsan Lee of Billings and Madison Mulvaney of Billings.
• A Billings West High School student has been accepted to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. Maranda Ratcliff is a member of her school’s softball team and the National Honor Society. She is also a volunteer at St. Vincent Healthcare.
• Joanne Hoch of Billings has been awarded a merit scholarship at Oklahoma City University based on grade point average and ACT/SAT test scores. Oklahoma City University awards merit-based scholarships to freshmen who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and potential, regardless of financial circumstances. Merit scholarship amounts range from $1,500 to $7,500.
• Rocky Mountain College has awarded the Montana Valedictorian Scholarship to five Montana high school valedictorians: J.A. Downs; Brayden Wacker of Melstone; Alexandra Chase of Billings Central Catholic High School; Jacob Woodring of Billings Senior High School; and Bobbi Bjordahl of Billings Senior High School. The award consists of a $3,000 Haynes Foundation scholarship in addition to a $14,000 Trustee scholarship.
• Shelby Dangerfield, a sophomore musical theater major from Billings, was among more than 1,900 students from Coastal Carolina University who made the fall 2013 Dean’s List. To qualify for the Dean’s List, freshmen must earn a 3.25 grade point average, and upperclassmen must earn a 3.5 grade point average.